PsyBA Master Class: Clinical Supervision in Adult Mental Health:Managing risk, self-care and ethics
About the Workshop:
This workshop is a new workshop not previously approved as a Master Class. The workshop provides a framework for competency based supervision for supervisees working with clients who present with complex mental health and comorbid presentations. There is a focus on identifying risk and managing the often complex clinical issues that arise from working with clients who present with acute or chronic complex mental health presentations. Coverage of systemic issues and working within a multidisciplinary context and medical model is also addressed with regards to clinical management issues, reporting and confidentiality issues. Pre-reading resources are provided, including revision documents of competency based supervision to ensure participants are familiar with the Board requirements.
Workshop structure /content:
- Understanding the ethical, legal and risk factors facing the supervisee working in an adult mental health context
- Confidentiality – managing competing demands of system, client and family (Case review scenarios and critical decision making in practice) – small group discussion and role plays
- Assessment, evaluation and feedback using a competency based framework: developing metacompetencies in practice
- Dialogical reflexivity – enhancing supervisee self-reflection and in-action
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Have sound knowledge of the application of competency based supervision in adult mental health clinical contexts
- Understand the principles of how reflectivity promotes independent thinking, improved clinician self-awareness, self-care
- Applying dialogical reflexivity in supervision evaluation and feedback
- Be aware of the importance of reflective supervision for therapeutic intervention and the development of meta competencies in practice
- Be able to apply reflective practice & model reflectivity to supervisees
- Identify and manage the challenges of working in the field of adult mental health and complex comorbid clinical mental health presentations
- Be able to identify and manage complex risk, legal and ethical issues
- Review of clinical/workplace issues brought to the session by participants
About the Presenter(s):
Sam Vasta has worked in public community mental health services for over thirty years as a senior clinician and Service Manager. He has a wealth of clinical experience and supervision practice in a range of service settings ranging from young people experiencing rst episode psychosis to consumers facing the challenges of recovery in the context of persistent and enduring mental illness. As a Service Manager, Sam has supervised various practitioners and team leaders oen involving complex clinical scenarios. He has experience and has taught on topics including cross cultural mental health practice, managing trauma from major critical incidents and ethical dilemmas in risk management.
Participants are required to attend the full day and will receive a certificate of attendance for 6 hours of face to face training.The workshop is equivalent to 6 CPD hours. This workshop is highly interactive and allows for ample time and to practice and review.
Federation Conference Centre (near Central Station, Sydney)
Time: 9. 00am – 4.30pm
Early Bird - $330 (ends 11.07.2019)
Standard - $375 (from 12.07.2019)
10% discount when 3 or more book and pay at the same time
Clinical Supervision Services
Clinical Supervision Services (CSS) is an AHPRA approved organisation dedicated to providing excellence in training and clinical supervision supervision.
Contact: Christine Senediak
M: 0478 548 594
Download More Information
Sydney NSW 2000
Two-day face-to-face workshop integrating theory and small group practice (successful completion of on-line course is prerequisite). The two day workshop will further expand on the topics covered in the on-line component reviewing PsyBA supervision requirements. The two day workshop is interactive including live demonstrations, small group activities, practice exercises and class discussion. Comprehensive readings are provided in addition to Supervision Resource Handbook. ...
This one day workshop has been has been especially designed to meet the needs of those who are currently supervising or planning to supervise school counsellors and those working in a school context offering counselling and support to school community. ...